Monday 12 March 2012

Final Adventure

Today we went on our final adventure for Costa Rica and wow was it ever an adventure. We drove for an hour and a half, most of it over a very bumpy road to get to this place called Aventura Tour. This is the one tour that Mary and were skeptical about and our intuition turned out to be correct.

The first thing to do was go horseback riding. I've been  on a horses back exactly once which was 30 years ago. Mary has about as much experience as me and likes horses about as much as I do. So we get up on these horses with help and both of us felt like we were going to fall off the horse. Off we went for what seemed like a lifetime trek through the forest. It wasn't bad until the horse started to gallop. Every single part of my body was tense.

We got off the horse next to a place where we were going rafting down the river. Both of us got our helmets, tubes and signed waivers. We were thinking it would be a nice float down the river! WRONG. Just before we got into the river the guide told us it was 2 miles long with 20 sets of rapids. Mary and I both looked at each other, but thought, "how bad can it be". Ohhhhhhhhhh it was bad. Mary fell off her raft and was immersed in water, not once, but twice. I told her to wear her sunglasses as they are perscription and she can't see much without them. She told me if she lost them I had to buy her a new set. Well, she lost them on her second flip! But I think they may have saved her eye. She is quite scratched up with a black eye, several cuts and her knuckles and knees are red and swollen.

When the raft trip was over, we were just shaking. We had lunch and told our guide to take us back to the hotel. There were more activities we were supposed to do such as zip line, rock repelling, and mud baths but we were done! Mary and I were the oldest people on the tour and we just couldn't do any more.

Enjoy the photos of our day. We could have bought photos of us going down the river in the raft, but frankly, we couldn't wait to get out of there.


 Mary is so excited to be on the horse!

 I'm smiling but I'm not enjoying this. My arse hurts.

 These oxen or whatever they are were at the resort.

Almost all of Mary's knuckles are red and swollen and so is her knee.
 Her eye keeps getting blacker by the minute. It should be a real shiner by tomorrow.
Back at the hotel safe and sound!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home